Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Reading Response 3


Alex Ormat's Roller Coaster info graph is what I decided to critique for my reading response. I would first like to state that this graph is very appealing and that is due to the simplicity of the way it was designed. The orange and blue fonts were contrasting to one another, which brought it out more. I like how he added the clouds, it reminds me of what he is showing in his graph, how high the roller coaster are. At first I wondered what the graph's axis were and was going to recommend that he label his axis, but with a little bit of interaction that fixed my curious issue. He nicely showed the roller coaster high with the mouse pointer. As you moved the cursor across the graph it showed the height and well as the speed. Once over a roller coaster it showed you it height and speed in a better font and gave it a better presentation. When clicked it not only pointed to it location on the map (real liked this idea) but it also showed you how many drops it had by the number of cars that was dropping from the graph to its location on the map. Finally he showed you an POV of the roller coaster. I don't know how he got these video shots, but it was a nice add to the graph.

Personally, I thought the added cars representing number of drops wasn't the best way to represent the number of drops. It would of been better to put more curves in the line that was going to the map (representing more drops). I also wasn't a fan of the video, yes it added something more to the graph but to sit there looking at it for a long period of time isn't my cup of tea.

Other then that as I mentioned before, the design of the graph was fantastic, the graph was nice and simple and the mouse cursor over the graph was very unique and nicely implemented. The fonts made an outstanding (pun intend) look on the entire graph and made sure your focus was on the attention of which roller it was and how fast and height it was. (when you placed the cursor over a dot on the graph). Just to repeat my self, I really liked how the roaster coster dropped to it's location on the map. I found that very creative.




No comments:

Post a Comment